This contest only accepts submissions from women* poets. The winning poet will be awarded $3000 and publication on Palette Poetry. Second and third place will win $300 & $200 respectively, as well as publication.
The top ten finalists will be selected by the editors, and guest judge Victoria Chang will then select the winner and two runner ups. Winners and finalists will be announced toward the end of August 2020.
*all women are welcome to submit (cis, trans, non-binary, etc)
Victoria Chang’s new book of poetry, OBIT, is for sale now from Copper Canyon Press. Other books are Barbie Chang, The Boss, Salvinia Molesta, and Circle. She also edited an anthology, Asian American Poetry: The Next Generation. She has received a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Katherine Min MacDowell Fellowship, a Sustainable Arts Foundation Fellowship, a Poetry Society of America Alice Fay di Castagnola Award, a Pushcart, a Lannan Residency Fellowship, and other awards. Her poems have been published in Best American Poetry. Her children’s picture book is Mommy? (Beach Lane/Simon & Schuster), was illustrated by Marla Frazee and was named a NYT Notable Book. Her middle grade verse novel, Love, Love is forthcoming from Sterling Publishing in Spring 2020. She is a contributing editor of the literary journal, Copper Nickel and a poetry editor at Tupelo Quarterly, as well as a contributing editor for On the Seawall. She is the Program Chair of Antioch University’s low-residency MFA Program, as well as co-coordinates the Idyllwild Writers Week. She also serves on the National Book Critics Circle Board. She lives in Los Angeles with her family and her weiner dogs, Mustard and Ketchup.
- For this Prize, we are only accepting work from poets who identify as women and/or non-binary
- Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—other languages are okay to include, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere. (We want to say congrats!)
- There is no page requirement, but submission must be no more than 3 poems. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- We are only accepting unpublished work with this contest.
- We do accept multiple submissions, but each submission will include the reading fee.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history.
- Review our FAQ page for frequently asked questions.
- Contest closes on June 14th, 2020.
- Reading fee is $20.
For more information and to submit, go to the Palette Poetry website.